Mid-level Architectural Historian
Regular, Full Time
$56,000 – $78,000 -Commensurate with experience and qualifications
Terracon is seeking a full-time Architectural Historian/Staff Scientist in our Austin, Texas office. The successful candidate will possess a master’s degree or above and have five to ten years of experience in cultural resources management.
Terracon’s cultural resources management services are part of the Environmental Planning Practice Group and focus on compliance with Section 106 of the National Historic Preservation Act (NHPA) as well as applicable state and local regulations. The architectural historian position involves desktop/literature reviews, field surveys, and consultation with State Historic Preservation Officers (SHPOs) under Section 106 of the NHPA. The position requires evaluation of historic properties for National Register of Historic Places (NRHP) eligibility. Understanding of the regulatory framework for architectural evaluation of standing structures is essential. Must meet the Secretary of the Interior’s qualifications as a Principal Investigator (PI) for Architectural History. The position requires consultations with federal agencies, state agencies, possibly tribal groups, municipalities, and other stakeholders. The individual will be expected to contribute to business development through preparation of proposals and statements of qualifications, presentations to clients, and active engagement in professional networking activities.
The successful candidate will be part of an interdisciplinary team including archaeologists, architectural historians, historians, historic preservationists, conservationists, environmental scientists and engineers and geotechnical professionals. The qualified candidate will have strong technical writing capabilities, must be able to write at a professional level, and present ideas in a well-thought-out and comprehensive
manner. This is an excellent opportunity for a self-motivated individual with strong communication and practical experience to excel in a team environment.
Essential Role and Responsibilities:
• Follow safety rules, guidelines and standards for projects. Participate in pre-task planning. Report safety challenges or concerns to management.
• Be responsible for maintaining quality standards, budgets and meet deadlines on projects. This includes adherence to Terracon’s quality processes and requirements for document quality control reviews.
• Prepare survey reports, resources recording forms, research designs, and other technical documents.
• Oversee field research, data collection, inventory, analysis, and final report production.
• Remain current with agency protocol for conducting federal-level cultural resources work. Be able to determine the level of effort for non-federal work nationally.
• Maintain good working relationships with state and federal agency contacts and clients.
• Develop budgets, proposals, and statements of qualification.
• May oversee work performed by lower-level scientists/engineers, technicians, and subconsultants.
• Develop professional relationships with existing and prospective clients.
• Other duties as assigned by the Architectural History Group Manger.
• A graduate degree in architectural history, historic preservation, or a closely related field
• 5-10 years related experience
• Valid driver’s license with acceptable violation history
• Candidate must provide research examples and writing examples
Please apply at https://careers.terracon.com/job/austin/mid-level-architectural%02historian/37184/48309648144?utm_source=email&utm_medium=social_post&utm_campaign=Terracon_Consultants,_Inc._social or reach out to Jeremy at
Jeremy.firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions.